Design Thinking in the Garden

“CHALLENGES are PROBLEMS that
Make life interesting.”
– Ridley Scott, Film Director and Producer
  1. Challenge: Watering  … Solution: Soaker Hoses
  2. Problem: Soaker Hose hangs over path in the garden maze.
  3. Challenge: Design a continuous path.
  4. Problem: Blocks are needed to enclose the soaker hose inside the garden maze.
  5. Challenge:  What data do you need to collect before buying the blocks?

Vegetable Planting Design Thinking Teamwork
  • Communication Essential: Share Unique Ideas and Debate for Quality.
  • DeBUG Unplanned Problems: Note there is a large ANT colony by maze entrance.
  • Innovation: It is OK to disagree, that is how we solve problems and think up new ideas.

Please share your answer with your teacher, add to this blog, or email Ms. North: knorth @ wt dot net. I have the money to buy the blocks, but need you to figure out how many blocks we need. Please join the CS STEM Green Club for future design thinking projects.

Published by

knorth

In 2011 Karen North was a 28-year computer science, math, technology systems and business teacher. She is an officer with ISTE SIGCT and is on the CSTA Committee working on K-8 Model Curriculum. She is currently a Technology Specialist at an elementary school in Houston ISD, allowing her the opportunity to put into practice her CS research on the K-5 level. Ms. North began her advocacy for computing in the 1980s programming BASIC, Logo and the T.I. Calculator in math courses. She also sponsored the recycling club at her school and is chair of the education committee for Keep Houston Beautiful. Retired now still advocating for outdoor and computer science education. See her home site www.build-a-brain.com for her on going advocacy.

5 thoughts on “Design Thinking in the Garden”

1. For the challenge of number 5,you will need to collect the perimeter and the area of the garden, so that you could put the blocks around it to hold it together…….. ……….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Do you need the perimeter and area of the whole garden? What part of the garden needs the blocks to hold it together? Can you go outside and figure that out? Have your teacher email me so I can come to your classroom to get you, if you want. Or do it yourself and see how much data analysis you can do on your own? Great start on the answer, but need some more data. What is next?

3. We need 8 bags of soil, 6 feet of black tarp, 3 blocks. This is all I need just for my group. I’m the one that did the binary project.
    Destiny